Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Help me with a story idea and win a Kindle Paperwhite!

kindlepwAlthough I consider myself a writer and demonstrate that fact by writing reviews and news almost every day, there is one type of writing that I’ve always wanted to do, but just can’t seem to. Fiction. In 2010 I took a stab at Nanowrimo and ended up with a little over 4000 words before giving up. I came to the conclusion that my writing talent might be limited to just tech writing. Every so often I’ll get the itch to try again, but I get stuck with the same problem – I just can’t come up with a great idea for where my story should go. I have the beginning, but that’s it. That’s where all of you come in. You can help me brain storm for ideas and in the process, you’ll earn chances to win a brand new Amazon Kindle Paperwhite ebook reader. Full contest details after the jump.

I have a soft spot in my heart for children’s stories and still read them today. So that’s what I’m trying to write…

My story is about a young girl who loves gadgets (shock!) and taking them apart. Her favorite things are clocks. One day she goes to a flea market and buys something that looks like a pocket watch but different. It comes with a small leather bound book that is written in some sort of code.

…and that’s all I have so far. I need your ideas to help spark my imagination so I can get further into the story. What does the “pocket watch” do? Time travel sounds too obvious and maybe too boring. What’s a good twist? Or maybe I should scrap the watch idea and go with something else. Send me some plots!

How to enter (please read carefully – any missed steps and your entry will be disqualified):

1. Between now and 12/21/2012 11:59PM EST leave a comment with a plot idea for my story. You can enter up to 5 different plot ideas, just make sure each idea is a separate comment.

2. At some point on 12/22/2012, I’ll pick 1 random winner using random.org. The winner will be contacted by email and will have 48 hrs to respond. If I do not receive a reply to my email, I’ll do other random.org drawing till the prize is gone.

Rules:

1. Max of 5 entries per person (warning: I check IP addresses). Each entry needs to be a separate comment.

2. Gadgeteer writers, family members and close friends may not enter this contest.

3. the-gadgeteer.com is not responsible for any lost packages or incorrect shipping addresses.

4. Failure to follow instructions will result in the entry being disqualified.

5. All submitted story ideas become mine. If one of your ideas helps me become a best selling author of children’s book earning eleventy billion dollars a year, you’ll get a hearty thank you, but no claims to the end product. :)

Filed in categories: Contests

Tagged:

Help me with a story idea and win a Kindle Paperwhite! originally appeared on The Gadgeteer on December 17, 2012 at 8:00 am.

Source: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/12/17/help-me-with-a-story-idea-and-win-a-kindle-paperwhite/

THQ TEXAS INSTRUMENTS TERADATA

No comments:

Post a Comment